Friday, June 08, 2007

When is it too young?

So I was listening to the Kane Show on Hot 99.5 (yes I like Kane's show) and he had an interesting story on the show. It would seem that some parents get kids a limo for their graduation from 6th grade to 7th grade. One school sent a flyer out to parents asking them not to have their children get dropped off by a limo outside of school because it shows how some kids are part of a clique while others are excluded.

Here is the point Kane made: why is it the school says some kids can't ride in a limo, but they can be dropped off in their parents Mercedes of BMW's?

In all honesty, I do think getting a limo for a 6th grader is going over board. When I graduated from 6th grade, I think my parents just gave out a big sigh of relief that I graduated.

So why is it parents do something like this? Listening to the radio, you get the impression that a number of parents just want to spoil their children. Others see this as a reward for their children doing good work throughout the year. I think it is a mixture of both. There ARE a lot of parents who like to spoil their children now a days. In fact, even on the radio, the discussion on this went into the area of rights of passage.

It seems that in this area the age for getting certain things like a limo, cell phones, earings, etc. is getting younger and younger. By the time a child reaches the natural age of passage for something, the event that is suppossed to be special in their life has already occurred. So what are they to do?

No comments: