Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday Night Movie Review



School for Scoundrels
I just got back from the Ballston Regal Theaters where I saw tonight's feature review. To begin with, my suspicion about possibly running into a student from the school where I work at came true as literally three seconds after I got my ticket ripped in half the person behind the concession stand called out my name. *SIGH* Oh well, at least they were nice enough not to bug me about what movie I was going to see.
Anyway, the movie star Billy Bob Thornton as Dr. P and Jon Heder as Roger. Roger is a regular guy who tends to get walked all over by society. One day he is given Dr. P's number and enrolls in a class designed to teach him how to stand up to the world and stop being treated like a sucker. Roger excels in the class and discovers that his mentor plans to make an example out of his star pupil. Hilarity ensues as the two men battle each other over the affection of Amanda, played by Jacinda Barrett. I won't spoil the ending, but I will point out a few funny moments:
1. Pretty funny when Heder gets shot in the groin by a paint ball gun from only a foot away.
2. Damn funny when Dr. P takes shock paddles to his own groin.
3. Any reference students make about Lecher (Michael Clarke Duncan) will make you laugh. Trust me on this one.
As for previews, Will Ferrel has a new film coming out, but I don't know how successful it will be. But two films I want to see are:
1. National Lampoon's Van Wilder: The Rise of Taj
2. Mr. Woodcock
Both films are comedies and should be well worth the price of admission. As for School of Scoundrels, it is a lot like Old School in its humor, but I do think the film is geared for an audience who enjoys seeing some physical humor. I must admit, this is a film I will be interested in getting on DVD when it comes out.

No comments: